Sunday, July 15, 2018

2018 Mystery Quilt - Diamonds Are a Quilter's Best Friend

Finally, what you've all been waiting for:

2018 Mystery Quilt - Diamonds Are a Quilter's Best Friend
Final Directions!!!

Ok, copywrite stuff first.... 

You have my permission to use my pattern for your guild or sewing group mystery quilt. You may make and share copies of my pattern as long as all copies have my name and blog name on them. If you would like a pdf file for your group, please email me and I will add you to my list.  atticthreads@yahoo.com

This month we’re going to be cutting and sewing all those blocks into a quilt top.  There is 1 set of directions for both tops, Layer Cake Mystery Quilt or Scrappy Quilts of Valor Mystery Quilt.


Last time cutting, I promise!

This month we are going to start with  Bag 4, marked “E and F”  

We need to cut these blocks before we put the top together.
I recommend that you starch and press these blocks first. We will be cutting on the bias and this will help to keep them from stretching.

Take all 6 of the E blocks out of the bag. The E blocks have the red or layer cake pieces on the two sides.

Place 2 E blocks right sides together,

Make a mark 3/4” down from the UPPER LEFT CORNER of the long side,

Make a mark 3/4” up from the LOWER RIGHT CORNER of the long side
Cut on the diagonal from mark to mark.

Repeat for the remaining 4 E blocks. 
Place back in the E/F bag.

Take all 6 of the remaining F blocks out of the bag. The F blocks have the red or layer cake strip in the center.

Place 2 F blocks right sides together.

Repeat the above cutting technique.

Repeat for the remaining 4 F blocks.
Place back in the E/F bag.



Enough with the blocks! Let's put that top together!!!

There is 1 set of directions for both tops, Layer Cake Mystery Quilt or Scrappy Quilts of Valor Mystery Quilt. 

This quilt is on point, so I recommend that you lay out your blocks BEFORE sewing the top together. Pay close attention to the orientation of the blocks. This picture does not include borders. I am leaving borders up to you. Because the edges are on the bias, pin your border on and then SEW THE BORDERS ON WITH THE BORDER FABRIC ON THE BOTTOM! This will allow your feed dogs to pull in any extra bias fabric. It will also help to keep you from stretching the bias edges.






*****Sew all the rows together first, leaving off the 4 outer corner triangles.  After all the rows have been sewn, and the rows sewn together into the top, then you will be sewing on the 4 last corner blocks! ****



Now that you have sewn all the rows together, we will add on the final 4 corner squares. Use the remaining E blocks. Sew the blocks on, pay attention to the orientation and then square up the corners.




Here is another chart of the quilt layout showing the block letters.




Wow! This year has been a wild ride so far! Between all my travels, teaching and quilting, I have met some awesome people! I hope you've enjoyed this Mystery as much as I have. Please send me pictures of your finished quilts.    atticthreads@yahoo.com    I love seeing all the different fabrics you use.

Happy Quilting!

Ann

1 comment:

  1. I love all the things you share and see your beautiful creation. Thank you for sharing with everyone. I know everything about you. It's great and it's great.

    ผู้หญิง

    ReplyDelete