Monday, April 14, 2014

Machine Quilt's Showcase

I admit I have enjoyed teasing you all for the last couple months.  Now is the big reveal.....

But first, just a little info.  Last spring I asked my friend Kevin if he would be interested in collaborating on a show quilt with me.  After a little pause, he agreed.  I then handed him a box of fabric and said "Make a quilt with this".  When asked what kind, I replied "whatever you want, just make it scrappy. I totally trust you". And so began the journey and the birth of "RADAR".

Sharing his ideas and path with me, I could tell we really had the same vision of what we wanted the quilt to be.  Everything just clicked.  If you want to read more of his part of this journey, check out his blog Kevin The Quilter regularly (he has LOTS of stuff going on!).

Last fall, he gave me this amazing quilt top. It was his interpretation of the actual Radar from the storm with the devestating tornados that went thru Oklahoma.  He was flying over at the time. I spent 242 Hours quilting it. My part of the journey was to give life and movement to the quilt.  Apparently it was well worth all the time and effort we put into our quilt!  Radar took FIRST Place in Tools of the Trade at MQS in Wichita, KS.

So..... Drum Roll......




The beginning of my part of the journey, Kevin gave me a top, 100" x 100" of 2,500 squares!



So I got out my rulers and tools and started quilting. 
Some of the rulers I used are my favorites, Dusty Farrel's Radical Rulers and Bones, "Scapula"




 Lots of swirls, and circles and then some straight lines.  The only free-hand can be background fills.  So lots of tiny pebbles for pockets of hail.


 

And, YES! I TOUCHED THE QUILT AT THE QUILT SHOW!!! 
(The Quilt Police weren't looking)



It was a fun and amazing journey this quilt took us on. Guess I need to buy Kevin another box of fabric......


Happy Quilting,
Ann

4 comments:

  1. Ann (and Kevin), Your quilt is awesome!!! Congratulations to you both. You did an amazing job of quilting it. I'm blown away with all your creative designs. I enjoyed seeing the process of how you tackled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann, I believe you know Lynn, my Nana! =) I was talking to her a couple days ago and she told me about this amazing quilt you two did, naturally I had to look it up (knowing it won a contest, I knew I would find it somewhere!) and as a surprise to both of us, I found your blog! I just wanted to say hello and let you both know that I am stunned by your work. Kevin, the whole concept is incredible and so unique! I've never seen anything like it. Ann, your quilting skills blow me away, I hope you're the one finishing the quilt my Nana is making for me! =P Take care and happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome design. I have no words for such an outstanding peace of work. Keep up the good work.

    Beautiful Bailey 44 Rake Dress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is really lovely. You should totally collaborate again...

    ReplyDelete